Top Ten Blue Mountain Real Estate Inspection Problems
It is always wise to have a professional home inspection done when purchasing any Blue Mountain real estateregardless of the age or apparent condition of the property. A home inspection by a qualified and experienced home inspector will save your from any potential problems that may arise down the road.
- Minor maintenance problems: Poor overall maintenance will eventually lead to problems down the road.
- Minor structural problems: Minor problems can include things like cracked foundation and are typical in older homes. Although they are minor they should be corrected in order to avoid any further problems in the future.
- Grading/drainage problems: They can cover anything from damp basements to needing new roof gutters. These are the most common problems found in home inspections.
- Older/insufficient electrical system: It is very common to find older homes with undersized services, aluminum wiring, knob-and-tub wiring or inadequate and poorly renovated distribution systems. It is important to have these problems looked into since they can be dangerous.
- Older/poorly installed plumbing: It is also very common to find plumbing problems in older homes. Repairs can range from a simple 10-minute fix to expensive replacement. It is a good idea to get an expert opinion.
- Older/leaking roof: It’s difficult to estimate roof age from the ground unless the roof is new, but on average an asphalt roof usually lasts about 15 to 20 years. A home inspector will be able to tell you how many layers are under the roof in order to determine if it needs to be completely stripped or not.
- Older heating/cooling system: Older and poorly maintained heating/cooling systems are inefficient and could pose a serious safety and health risk. New systems may be expensive but will help to recoup your investment.
- Poor ventilation: Excessive moisture from un-vented bathrooms and cooking areas can cause a wide range of problems. As a result, these need to be corrected before the damage becomes excessive.
- Excessive air leakage: Poor weather-stripping, badly fitted doors, deteriorated caulking and poor attic seals all contribute to a cold and drafty home. Repairs are usually simple and inexpensive.
- Mold: It can be a result of water damage, too much humidity, poor ventilation system, wet construction materials or even poor construction or design.
Your Blue Mountain real estate is an investment. It’s worth the time to make sure it’s a sound one.